Voiceover Coaching for Voice Actors
Jamie specializes in helping people start their voiceover journey the right way.
Starting out in voiceover is difficult, it can be intimidating trying to navigate the correct path when there are so many potential avenues to explore, and missteps to avoid. Add to that the vast amount of conflicting information (much of which is false) and you have a recipe for paralysis and procrastination.
Many of the questions that talent need answers to are often straightforward. However, arriving at these answers depends on many factors.
- What kind of work does the prospective talent want to pursue?
- Will their current life situation allow them the freedom to explore VO?
- Are they in a stable enough financial position?
- Are they experienced enough? Or do they even need experience?
- Does their voice match the kind of work they seek?
- Do their skills match the work they seek?
- Do they need to live in a particular place to pursue this kind of voice work?
- Is their home conducive to recording?
Answering these questions will help to determine if voiceover is right for them, and if so, how long it could take to achieve their goals.
Jamie’s specialty in voiceover coaching is helping talent find answers to these questions early on in their journey, and establishing short, medium and long term goals that help them to reach their full potential.
Jamie teaches students how the industry operates, in both a broad sense, and drilling down into the idiosyncrasies of the many genres that comprise this expansive industry.
An emphasis on the individual talent, and how they can cultivate their own career.
No one coach has the answer to every voiceover question, it is important for voice actors to diversify their education. Therefore, setting talent up for success by encouraging self study, utilizing podcasts, books, workshops, group classes, networking, other coaches, YouTube etc… is a hallmark of Jamie’s approach. This enables the talent to not only benefit from individualized direction, but also a wide-ranging knowledge base.
Having many connections in the industry, Jamie regularly introduces talent to other exceptional coaches who have specific niches that directly benefit the talent.
Being an audio engineer, Jamie helps talent with their studio and technology needs.
Jamie is a self confessed audio tech nerd, but for many technology can be a frustrating challenge to overcome. If tech is not something that appeals to the talent, Jamie helps them to establish the simplest possible solution while still delivering the best possible sound.
Nobody is born with this information, there is never any judgement about a talent’s ability or interest in the tech side of voiceover.
Many problems require a quick and simple solution, this alleviates stress and speeds up workflow, taking technology out of the equation as much as possible, allowing the talent to focus on performance.
An experienced educator who is passionate about teaching and helping others.
Jamie’s teaching journey started in the early 2000’s as a music teacher. Today, Jamie shares his voiceover knowledge in a variety of places:
- One-to-one classes.
- Group classes and workshops.
- He’s taught voiceover at:
- Syracuse University
- Voice Actors of NYC
- VOcation Conference
- Edge Studio (NY)
- Backstage Expert and regular contributor to Backstage Magazine (online and in print)
- Written for Voiceover Xtra
- Hosts the VO School Podcast – devoted to teaching the art and craft of voiceover
- Featured guest on:
- The VO Social Podcast
- The VO Meter Podcast
- Making it to the Mic Podcast
- VOBS (Voice Over Body Shop)
- Co-Chair of VOcation Conference – devoted to the business of voiceover
- Teaches and hosts workshops at his own Gardner St Philly Studio
One-To-One coaching, one lesson at a time
Forward momentum is very important when learning anything new. This is why after each lesson, students are encouraged to delve deep into the subjects discussed in class, and complete tasks that systematically hone their voice skills.
Only when the talent feels they are ready to take the next step on their journey do they schedule their next class with Jamie. This places some responsibility on the shoulders of the talent to build their career at their own pace, with regular and targeted input from Jamie along the way.
If you’d like to explore voiceover, strategize your career, work on your reads, or figure out your tech, reach out to Jamie.
For more information, please visit: https://www.voschoollaunch.com